Friday, May 1, 2009

Life in Moldova

Skip has been busy laying tile in one of the bathrooms. I have been busy putting wood dough on doors and door frames for two days. I am almost finished, but we ran out of wood dough. We will get some wood dough next week. The window guys have replaced all the windows in the administration building. They look very nice. Four new doors were put in today also. Much is being accomplished. Skip and his helper, Igor, cleaned out the shop the other day to prepare it for the group of Americans that are coming in a week and a half. There will be a couple of men using the shop to make furniture for the school.
Something interesting. Here there are birds which we call Coo Coo birds. We don't know what they are actually called, but we call them Coo Coo birds. Honestly they sound just like a Coo Coo clock. The first time I heard one, I thought it was a Coo Coo clock downstairs. But, it was a bird outside. Skip counts the Coo Coos and says there is no such thing as "54 O'clock." :-) Then Skip and the little Romanian girl downstairs go around saying coo coo, coo coo to each other. Words that they can communicate to one another and understand each other. It is cute to hear them. She is 4 years old and her name is Edita. She talks to us in Romanian and thinks we understand her. We don't. We were reading a Romanian book to her with animals in it. I was saying the animals in English and she would repeat them. Skip and I were very impressed with her pronunciation. Better than our Romanian pronunciation.
Well, that is all for now.
Sheryl

5 comments:

Katherine Hall said...

I can just picture Skip and that little girl...he's so good with kids! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time!

God's Girl said...

Oh, I love hearing about your trip!
We miss you but love hearing how the Lord is using you guys.

Sheryl said...

Thank you Kathy and Julie.

joyfully2b4u said...

The thing about the coo coo birds really got me laughing today! Thanks for sharing it! I can picture it, too! Nice how kids are the same the world over, isn't it?
I'm so glad you are keeping us posted on what's going on over there. I'm getting all caught up today, and I've really enjoyed hearing about your adventure. I love you both!

joyfully2b4u said...

oh, and I think that cuckoo clocks actually came from Europe in the first place =)