Sunday, May 17, 2009

On the road again...sounds like a song doesn't it?

Skip and I will be leaving Frankfurt soon. We will leave the motel at 10:30am Frankfurt time, which is about 2:30am west coast time. Our flight leaves Frankfurt at 1:50pm. We will again fly to Denver and then HOME. We are both ready to go home. We totally enjoyed our tour yesterday, our time in Frankfurt, and Moldova.
Some of the things we learned this trip.
Moldova is the poorest country in Europe.
Most people in the villages and many in Chisinau have out houses, no indoor plumbing.
Many people that live in the villages have lived there all their lives and their houses have been passed down from generation to generation.
Most people do not have cars. Some have a wagon pulled by a horse. Others walk or ride buses.
Food is very simple. They eat soup and bread at lunch and dinner, with meat and a starch. They do not have a meal without bread. Bread costs about .40 cents a loaf, is white and dense. It comes in smaller loaves than in the States. It is very good and we enjoyed it a lot.
Many people clean up in the kitchen, no shower or bath.
Moldova is a communist country. It is oppressive. Due to shop lifting, while shopping, you are watched carefully.
The police stop drivers frequently to check their papers.
There are two languages spoken in Moldova, both Russian and Romanian. Some people mix the two while conversing.
We are not used to the conditions in Moldova. For us it would be hard to live there. But I want you to know that the spirit of the Christian believers is wonderful. They have a hard life, but they are rejoicing in the Lord. They love the Lord and are serving Him. BTW, one of the sweet young Christian gals asked me to send greetings to the Christians in the United States. So, Greeting from the Christians in Moldova.
That is all about things we learned for now. I want to share a scary experience that happened at the airport in Moldova. We got checked in and we went through baggage security. Then our passports were checked and we were ushered to personal security where we were frisked. Meanwhile a man calls our last name. I answer and he motions for me to come with him. He takes my passport and hands it back to the lady that checked it. Only I could go with him, not Skip. He takes me back to the beginning and shows me one of our bags. He tells me, in broken English, to open it for him. He keeps saying the word "metal." I open it for him and he pulls out our package of batteries for the camera. They were Duracell AA batteries that we bought at Costco. So, it was a big package. He examines them carefully and talks with the other guard in either Russian or Romanian. I was too scared to figure out which. I am shaking with fear. Skip is worried and wondering where they have taken me and what is going on. Finally the man says to the other guard, "no Moldova." I say, "U.S." He nods, puts the batteries into the suitcase and motions for me to close the bag. I am now able to leave but have to go through all the security checks again and then am finally reunited with Skip. We were separated about 5 minutes, but it felt much longer than that. I explained what happened and we went on. Let me say that is it scary to be separated from your loved one in a foregn country where there is not freedom and you don't know the language. We did not realize the oppression we felt until we landed in Frankfurt. Again, I am not trying to complain, I am trying to explain.
See you soon!
Sheryl

2 comments:

Meli_Mama said...

I'm looking forward to reading more about your trip and seeing pictures. My husband owns a web server management company and 3 of the guys who do work for us live in Chisinau, Moldolva. We've seen some pictures and heard some stories from them about how they live, but I would be interested in a Western viewpoint.

joyfully2b4u said...

wow. those are some pretty vivid facts. thanks for putting them so clearly. we really DO have lots to be thankful for! Glad you are back safe and sound =)