Monday, February 2, 2009

My First Day of Work

My sweet niece Annie told me to post about my first day at work, so here goes. I got there quicker than I thought so I sat in the car and sent Joy a text message. Besides being my first day at a new job it was Joy's first day back to work after maternity leave and Tony's first day in daycare. They were on my mind and heart a lot. At work I found there is no where to put your belongings except in the classroom you work in. Since I am a floater I had to carry my stuff from one place to another. I will take less tomorrow. I started out with a tour and met everyone. I can only remember 2 or 3 names tonight. Then I was placed in a classroom to observe and interact. I held back quite a bit. After a couple of hours I was moved and so the day went. I got more comfortable with each classroom and interacted with the kids more and more. I enjoyed interacting with the kids. Of course with this being winter I was surrounded by coughing and runny noses. Part of the job. By around 11am I was summoned to the office to do my fingerprinting. First thing I did was print my name instead of signing it. New card please. Next card the assistant director and I messed up the fingerprints. New card please. The third time was a charm. Next I was sent to liguidate my assets into a cup for the purpose of drug screening. Wow! I have never had a drug test before. The lab was strict about the whole process. They make the toilet water blue so one does not try to "water down" the specimen. You are not allowed to wash your hands or flush until the lab tech comes in, to prevent tampering. That was quite an experience. By the time I was done at the lab it was 12:30. On the phone Skip said you better eat something on the way back to work. Good thing. I didn't get my lunch break until 2:00pm. Then at 3:00pm they wanted to give me my afternoon break. I opted to wait until 4 for my afternoon break. At 4:33 I clocked out. Today was my first experience with a time clock too. It is a good thing, just different.
So, there were good differences and different differences. i.e. I am not sure yet if I like some of the differences. There will be adjustments for me. Good things, I can talk about the Lord all I want. The children are well behaved. There is discipline at this school. Some differences from what I am used to, the classrooms are small, sparcely equiped and the ratios are larger. I can adjust to that. The classroom is teacher directed. I can adjust to that too. there is no place for the staff to go and even eat lunch. No break room. That is very different. I was spoiled in my last childcare job.
So, I survived the day and even had enough energy to go for a walk and walk the dogs. I should go do my Bible Study, but I am tired. I think I will go and veg. Good night.
BTW-Joy and Tony did well too. Tony didn't sleep much because in the morning because another new little girl screamed all morning. He did better in the afternoon after mommy visited him for her lunch time. She held him and he fell asleep in one minute. There were periods where he played and observed. Overall he did great. Joy said she did ok too. She called us on the way home. So Grandma, Joy and Tony all went to school today and survived it. :-)
There Annie, does that do it?

1 comment:

Annie said...

Yep, I think you did it! :) I enjoyed reading about your first day! A new job is always a huge adjustment but before you know it it will all be perfectly familiar. I remember the first drug test I took. I was nervous like there was a possibility I would fail even though there was no way I was going to fail!! :) Make sure to wash your hands a lot and carry hand sanitizer. Not that little children are gross but they do carry lots of little germs. :) I remember my mom got sick a lot her first year of driving bus because her immune system wasn't used to all the germs. I am glad Joy and Tony did okay. That's nice she was able to see him on her lunch. I bet he was really put at ease when mama came to see him. So did you hear?! I'm having a BOY!! My little Daniel!! Ruh is one proud dad. My mom is going to scan the picture tonight on her computer and then send it to me so I can post it. I am sure she will send it out in a mass e-mail too.

Love you! I hope today went good too! :)